Monday, May 9, 2011

mother's day reflections

This was the first Mother's Day where Daniel shared my last name, though I've been a mother-figure in his life for just over fours years now. I remember the first mother's day with him....he was just shy of four months old and I wasn't quite sure what my label as temporary mother/foster mother meant. At the time I had no idea what the future held. As far as I knew, his stay in our home would be probably not more than a year. So I was doing all the things a mother would--feeding him at night, changing diapers, rocking him, taking him to appointments, etc--but in my mind I wasn't really THE mother. My pastor preached an interesting and excellent sermon yesterday on what he called a "volunteer mother"--the mother that volunteers to act as a mother-figure whether the child is infant or teenager and for whatever length of time she is needed. I guess that would have described me.

I never set out to adopt. Certainly I never planned to adopt as a single person. I never decided to do foster parenting with the goal of adoption. Of course now I couldn't imagine life without Daniel. I never expected to experience all that I did in the courtroom, in the DHS building. When I received Daniel's file during the adoption process I couldn't even read most of the documents at first because of so many exhausting and stressful memories associated with the documented events. I never planned to be part of numerous court hearings, sitting in the witness box (not sure if that is even what it is called), spending days being sick to my stomach at the thought of having to be cross-examined. I never wanted to be part of another mother's pain or have to be perceived as an enemy even though I didn't want to be.

I felt blessed the day he was adopted and now we are moving on with life. There have been those who have probably misunderstood. We've gotten funny looks from people. We've had people be critical and I've felt at times that people think I am selfish or that I didn't make the best decision for Daniel. There have been words said that have hurt and caused me to question myself. But then those people don't know all that happened in those 3.5 years. Those people weren't up night after night with a child who endured much confusion and wouldn't, or couldn't, sleep. Those people weren't in a courtroom nearly two dozen times. I have to give grace to those people who maybe are just puzzled or misunderstand me, as well as those who are just downright critical. And then of course there have been many friends throughout the last few years who have offered prayers and practical support, perhaps maybe when they didn't really understand, and for that I am very grateful.

I have lots of prayers and hopes for Daniel. I dream big on his behalf and why not? He has had a lot to overcome, but if he's come this far, why not think that he could be a great missionary, president, inventor, or preacher?

Admittedly, mothering is not easy! I have gained much more respect and appreciation for my mom, since I wasn't always the model child! Now, I see how incredibly brave, selfless, and committed my mom was. I hope that I can have all those qualities in my life, and I'm trusting God for the future that it will be GOOD!

So this Mother's Day I am also thankful for my mom who has become "Mimi" to Daniel and who has been the greatest support to me. I certainly could not have walked this journey without her!

This is the front of the Mother's Day card that Daniel picked out for me! I got some good chuckles :-) Apparently he loved the picture of the puppy so much that he could not be dissuaded from this card!

1 comment:

  1. Love the card choice!! ;o) I'm happy to know your family & happy that Allan is so well loved and cared for, as every child should be! Happy Mother's Day, Heidi!

    ReplyDelete