Friday, April 12, 2013

life is an adventure

It's been a busy few weeks and I determined that last Sunday, April 7, I would have a quiet restful day after church. I had nothing planned for the afternoon or evening and I just wanted to read or sleep or just be HOME!

Well when we got home from church a DHS worker who was on call for the weekend was trying to call. She wondered if we would be able to go to hospital that afternoon to pick up a newborn girl. I was neither expecting nor prepared for a newborn girl. We were a boy home with boy clothes and boy toys! We said yes and my mom, Daniel, and myself went to the hospital in the afternoon to meet the caseworker and get the baby.

The early part of the week was filled with adjusting to round the clock feedings...I love to sleep so this has been pretty crazy! But I have found that the times that I get up with her--usually once or twice, although it has been more on occasion--are delightful! Other than stumbling around in the dark trying to change diapers and mix formula, I really find it quite enjoyable. And God has given the grace so that I really don't feel too exhausted in the daytime! (It's a little hard to get up in the morning but thankfully my mom takes care of the early morning feedings!)

Daniel was initially intrigued by such a tiny being. He has been very gentle and for the most part patient with sharing our home with Baby B...although he finds the flood of pink in our home a little strange!

As we have been enjoying Baby B this week, I found out through the local news that our last foster baby (toddler) Little N was brought back into custody last week for physical abuse after being returned to his original home. After he was moved from our home, it was only a matter of a few weeks before the court returned him to his mother. Now she is charged with felony child abuse after he was found with more severe injuries than the first time. I was in tears as I read the news story. I don't understand why things happened the way they did. I don't understand the pain in the world. I hate what sin does to people, especially the most vulnerable.

I can't save the world, but for today anyway we can open our home and arms to a tiny one and trust God for the future.

No comments:

Post a Comment