Wednesday, April 3, 2013

fiddling again

I decided to deactivate my personal Facebook page for a time....maybe a few days, maybe a few weeks. I have no set time in mind. So in this time without the temptation to check it just because I have time on my hands, I decided I would take the opportunity to catch up on reading the stack of books next to my bed, maybe do some blogging, do some personal inventory about where I'm at in life, and play music!

When I first start teaching fiddle lessons I used cassette tapes as a large part of my instructing. Since several of the tunes were taught either by ear or with tabs ("music" that just showed the finger numbers but without the rhythm) I would record myself playing the tune slowly and then up to speed to that my students could listen to it during the week and be able to learn the song. After a few years, most of my students no longer had cassette players and now, many of my younger students don't even know what a cassette tape is!

So one of my students suggested that I create a YouTube channel and upload videos of myself playing the tunes that I teach. I could direct my students to the particular song that they were supposed to be working on and they could hear me playing it the same way that I was teaching it.

Last night, in the absence of the time waster known as Facebook (!), I tried my first video. I still feel a little awkward in front of the webcam. Hopefully as I do more I will loosen up and maybe do more talking/instructing.

So here it is....the sound quality isn't the best and I am highly critical of every less than perfect note! if you have any suggestions for improvement, please let me know! (Click on Ashoken Farewell below...I haven't figured out how to actually put the video on this page! still learning!)



Ashoken Farewell

No comments:

Post a Comment